Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Curried Butternut Squash Soup from La Dolce Vegan

VeganMoFo has ended and World Vegan Day is now here!  It was 67 years ago that the Vegan Society coined the term “vegan” and it was almost 4 years ago that I made the choice to permanently join the vegan community.  It’s been eye opening, gratifying and all sorts of fun. 

November is arguably my favorite month of the year.  Things seem to slow down, more time is spent with loved ones and food takes center stage.  This November I will enjoy Thanksgiving with my family, host my annual Friendsgiving dinner for some of my best gal pals, celebrate 6 years with my love and take a much needed mini vacation to Vegas.  Giddy up!

Let’s kick this most awesome month off with a delicious fall soup, shall we?  Curried Butternut Squash Soup to be precise.  The recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, La Dolce Vegan.  This was a cookbook I borrowed from the library and found that I was marking so many recipes to try that I just had to own it.  I’ve made several of the soups and haven’t found a loser yet. 

I received a small butternut squash in my latest CSA box so I opted to turn it into a soup from this go-to cookbook.  Now that MoFo has ended, I’m not going to title posts with which I use mainly CSA ingredients “Cooking through my CSA”.  It seems a bit pointless since just about every meal I have is based around something from my CSA.  It’s a big box and it’s only lil ol me eating it.  I’ll still try to mention if I’m using something from the CSA and continue tagging the posts as “CSA” for those interested in CSA cooking. 

This was my first time cooking with butternut squash.  Expecting the squash to be difficult to work with (peeling and seed scooping, ehh) I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.  All it takes is a peeler, a sharp knife and a spoon to get your squash prepped and cubed for the recipe.  

 The squash had the pleasant, familiar smell of pumpkin when I cut into it.
The soup before pureeing.  Ingredients include butternut squash (surprise!), potatoes, onions, broth, curry and garlic.  I also included some green onions I had on hand.  The recipe only directed to puree about half of the soup mixture but I chose to puree this pot completely smooth.  The one time I had butternut squash soup in a restaurant they served it this way so I wanted to mimic that.   
This soup was silky smooth, comforting and delicious.  A great autumn dish to fuel up on during the best month of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment