Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Cooking through my CSA: Peppers (VeganMoFo)

Who doesn’t love peppers?  They’re versatile, flavorful and gosh darn beautiful.  I mean LOOK at these babies.
The purple bell pepper in the upper right is my fave, but don't tell the others
Bell peppers may not be as exotic as some of the other CSA items I have been challenged by, but because I get peppers in just about every one of my biweekly CSA boxes it can be difficult figuring out ways to highlight them in my cooking.  The little green ones are Padron peppers.  I have gotten these a few times in the CSA and they have varying heat levels depending on how mature they are.  Each time I get them (this is the third time now) they get spicier.  The peppers pictured above were about the heat level of a jalapeno.  With these (and the ½ onion I had left after making my Tomatillo Enchiladas) I decided to make some ridiculously easy fajitas. 

I cheated here and used a store-bought fajita seasoning packet.  These packets are dirt cheap, especially when bought on sale.  When I cook using a packet like this, it reminds me of when my dad made chicken fajitas for our family at home (he uses the seasoning packets as well).  I love throw-back meals like this.  In the future I’d like to make my own fajita seasoning blend to mimic these flavors.  For a batch this size, I only use about 1/3 of one seasoning packet. 

These come together in a flash, so have your tortillas and fixins ready.  This is a viable option for a weeknight meal when you come home starving, plus it only uses one pan to boot!

Ingredients:
3 medium bell peppers (whatever colors you have on hand), sliced
2-3 Padron peppers, or moderately spicy peppers, chopped, optional
1 small or ½ a large onion, sliced
1 cup chicken style seitan (I used Gardein strips)
1 Tbsp fajita seasoning
1-2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
Splash or two of water
Flour or corn tortillas
Fajita fixins (sour cream, salsa, cheeze, tomatoes, lime juice and/or cilantro would all be divine)


I used homemade sour cream (recipe from THIS amazing cookbook), limes, sliced cabbage (CSA) and chopped tomatoes (CSA).

Equipment:
Large, heavy-bottom skillet

Procedure:
1.  Sauté sliced peppers and onions in oil on high heat until they start to brown and soften
2.  Add a splash of water to deglaze the pan and add your fajita seasoning, cook a few minutes
3.  Add your chik’n and cook for an additional 5 minutes or so.  If you like your fajitas a little saucy, add more water as needed.
4.  Layer the pepper, chik’n mixture onto a warm tortilla and top with your favorite fixins 


5.  Devour


Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment