Friday, October 14, 2011

On the Town: Romi's Soft Serve Heaven (VeganMoFo)


Until very recently, creamy vegan soft serve was just something I dreamt about.  Although frozen yogurt joints abound around these parts, the best they offer to us wee vegans (if anything at all) is usually some sort of fruit sorbet.  Boring!  Imagine my delight when I discovered the little gem known as Romi’s Soft Serve Heaven just a few blocks from my apartment. 

Romi’s offers 7 varying flavors of soft serve each day and one of those seven is always vegan.  They even have vegan mix ins that are clearly labeled as such (it’s a self serve place).  I have been quite a few times and the vegan flavor is always different and interesting.  Prior to last night’s trip, flavors I’d had were peanut butter, heath bar, maple and cake batter.  Rumor has it they have a snicker flavor and I’m dying to try it! 

With 90 degree weather plaguing me and a Facebook post announcing Pumpkin Pie Vegan fro yo at Romi’s, I made it a point to get there yesterday.  It was probably the best decision I made that day. 

This was by far the best flavor I have had there.  Too often, the delicate flavor of pumpkin is hidden under a barrage of spices.  Not so at Romi’s!  It tasted like simple, sweetened pumpkin goodness. 

I spent my first year of college at Boston University and walking distance from my dorm was a wonderful hole in the wall frozen yogurt place that offered amazing, fresh flavors.  Their pumpkin was my absolute favorite.  They would blend actual puréed pumpkin into each serving.  Until last night I thought that I would never experience that again.  Enjoying this on my walk home transported me straight back to my freshmen year in Boston.

With a wink and a smile,
VVG

3 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo! I'd love to have access to vegan soft serve. Our local ice cream place does offer scoops of homemade vegan ice cream though, but they're out every time I want to get some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks soooo good. I may have to stop and get this after yoga tomorrow. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete